Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stuff That Really Should Be On YouTube



I love YouTube.  You can find just about anything there: archival footage of the Beatles at the Cavern, Mario Lemieux’s 600th goal, the moon landing.  There are a couple of things that really should be there but aren’t. 


Nirvana’s cover of “Rio” in Brazil

I’ve heard about this for almost twenty years and would love to see it.  I find it hard to believe that someone didn’t manage to capture it but it was the early 90s and cell phone cameras were still years away.  I wonder if there’s a bootleg of it somewhere.


A complete version of “Tangled Up in Blue” by Bob Dylan

Speaking of bootlegs.  Dylan has managed to keep a pretty tight hold on what gets uploaded.  At one time you could watch all of “Don’t Look Back,” including one of the most amazing pieces of girl bullying I’ve ever seen, but it’s since been pulled.  There’s one version of “Tangled Up in Blue” performed by Dylan but he omits my favorite verse:

She lit a burner on the stove and offered me a pipe
"I thought you'd never say hello" she said
"You look like the silent type"
Then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the fifteenth century
And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burning coal
Pouring off of every page
Like it was written in my soul from me to you
Tangled up in blue

I searched again for this as I was writing and there’s a bootleg version from a concert in Israel the other night but he still doesn’t include this verse. 


Andy Warhol’s appearance on “The Love Boat” 

Broadcast on October 12, 1985 according to this page.  I didn’t remember the date but I DID remember that his storyline had him running into one of his former stars (Marina DelRey) and her husband on the ship.  She’s hidden her past until Warhol knocks on her cabin door.  Did I mention that she’s played by Marion Ross and her husband is played by Tom Bosley?   Now you know why Chuck disappeared up the stairs.  One scene used to be uploaded but the account was terminated.  We’ll have to make do with David Bowie.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!