Monday, August 22, 2011

Standing by in 4...3...2...1

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how a steel drum version of "Mr. Sandman" was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard but I was unable to find it on YouTube.  I did, however, find a steel drum version of another of my favorites, "Stand By Me."  How many covers of one song can I link in one blog post?  Um, a few.

The Steel Drum One.  I can't make out what's on their shirts and the only thing identifying the group in the video is the stickers on the pans.  I can't tell if Carribeat is the name of the group or the name of a show.  At the Flatbush Frolic in Brooklyn in 2007.  These kids rock, whoever they are.



The Acapella One.  Straight No Chaser is from Indiana University and there are actually two groups:  Indiana Unversity's Straight No Chaser, whose membership changes from year to year (like all glee clubs or Menudo) and Straight No Chaser the professional dudes who were the founders of the orginal Straight No Chaser and reformed after their 1998 version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" went viral in 2006.  PBS pulls them out during pledge drives, which is where this comes from.



The John Lennon One.  From his 1975 album "Rock-n-Roll" it was a US Top 20 hit that year.




The Original by Ben E. King One.  This was the video from the 1986 movie.  Look how young River Pheonix and Wil Wheaton were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!