Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Morning Rushingtheseasonitis Mashup

Morning, how are you all this morning?  I mentioned a couple of days ago that my kids are dying for school to be over and frankly so am I.  I've had enough of packing lunches and scrambling to find shoes and rushing to catch the bus for the year.  It's raining today and I want sunshine so I'm getting it through my eardrums.  Ready?

"Liberty's Whip" is one of the most famous surfer songs in the world, recorded by the Chantays in 1962 or 1963.  Never heard of it?  That's because, according to Wikipedia, they renamed it "Pipeline".  They performed their only Billboard hit on The Lawrence Welk Show in May 1963.



This is one of those songs that if I could have a jukebox filled with covers it would account for about a third of the choices because I love so many of them, including this one by Anthrax from their Attack of the Killer B's compilation in 1991.



If you've read this blog for any length of time you should know that my musical heart belongs to Stevie Ray Vaughan (if you're new, you'll learn).  SRV recorded "Pipeline" with Dick Dale for the soundtrack to Back to the Beach, starring Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello from 196...1987?  Wow.  Anyway, this vid isn't that cover.  This is SRV live with his brother Jimmie in New Orleans, family style.


Are you awake?  I'm awake.  Now if it would just stop raining.  *Sigh*  Have a great day. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, they appeared on Lawrence Welk? The 60s were a much more mixed up era than I have given them credit for being, apparently.

    This is totally off topic, but: I just started reading an interesting book that you might like if you can find it: http://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Loves-Our-Town-History/dp/030746444X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337012951&sr=8-1

    I'm enjoying it but I think I would get more out of it if I were more familiar with grunge -- but you would totally get it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks for the rec...if you're really interested you should also pick up "Loser" by Clark Humphrey.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!