Thursday, May 15, 2014

Stuck With You

Sorry I haven't been around in a while. It's coming up to the end of the school year and so my kids are doing all of the end-of-year field trips and carnivals and concerts and my oldest has 6th grade recognition in a few weeks. I've been a little busy elsewhere, in other words.

Luckily I don't have to think about any formals for a few more years. Our school district always does a social for the 9th graders leaving junior high, then in high school 10th graders sit out for a year unless they're invited to junior or senior prom. I'm so hoping that when prom time does roll around for my kids that the Duck Tape Stuck At Prom Scholarship Contest is still going strong. My kids love making stuff with it, anyway, and my daughter has a notebook filled with ideas already. My favorite entrant this year so far is #279, Kechantra and Jeffrey, because, holy heck, that skirt? That skirt is amazing.

Prom season is one of those times that either brings out the best in people, like the kids above, or the worst. This post about a prom in Richmond, VA is one example of the worst. In a different part of Virginia, though, friends made sure that one of their group wouldn't feel singled out by having to wear a mask to protect his compromised immune system. I mean, come on. How can you not love these kids?

Courtesy myfoxphilly.com

Speaking of proms, one of my favorite celebrity kindnesses of all time is when Evan Dando of the Lemonheads took a fan to her prom after her date stood her up. What prom disasters or coolnesses do you remember? Comments are open.

2 comments:

  1. I don't get why I got the notification from Redo almost immediately and this one comes a day late. I really love these stories that show teens solidarizing with their peers (we hear so many stories about mean kids today).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not certain what's up with that, either.

      Yeah, I love stuff like this more than I can tell you.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!