Friday, November 4, 2011

You're A Seattle Band? But You're So Clean!

When most people hear "Seattle band" they think of the big four:  Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.  Seattle had a really vibrant scene before they broke out and it's still awesome.  Here are a few that you probably know but don't think about.

Queensryche
The band that inspired this post.  I heard this song on the radio this morning and though I'm not a huge fan I've always like this one.


Heart
Ann and Nancy Wilson fronted one the biggest bands from the Pacific Northwest before grunge.  Yes, women can rock.  This is the proof.



 Jimi Hendrix
I love the statue of him on the corner of Broadway and John on Capitol Hill.  It's the site of hundreds of tourist photos all titled " 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."  Germs, people.  His grave is one of the most visited memorials in the city.



Sir Mix-A-Lot
I luuuuurrrrrve him.  Striking a blow for women with junk in the trunk and peach lovers everywhere.



The Presidents of the United States of America
Speaking of peaches.  These guys were so geeky they were cool.  And Weird Al parodied them.


Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Nice diverse selection! Why do you think Seattle has been such a hotbed of great music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because it's rainy and the only things to do are drink coffee and jam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think about the Seattle music scene, the "grunge" bands are absolutely what comes to mind. Apart from Jimi, I had no idea those other artists were from there-although I love them all. Nice selection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard the big four but was never one for their music. Had no idea the others came out of Seattle! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @memythoughtsandwhoknows: Thanks for your comment!

    @judiang: You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NPR said "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the anthem of Generation X this morning. I was, well, not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kurbiss...GenX doesn't have an anthem, we have theme songs...I vote for the one from "Sanford and Son."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!